When I was younger I never imagined I’d be a single parent, I dreamed of having a perfect little family, but unfortunately that was nothing more than a dream for me.
I was with Heidi’s dad for a year before I got pregnant, we had planned to have Heidi at 25, a few weeks before my 20th I found out I was pregnant… so that didn’t go to plan did it…
Me and Heidi’s dad had a rocky relationship and throughout my pregnancy we didn’t get along, which resulted in arguments and him cheating on me, my hormones were all over the place so I stayed put… 2 months after Heidi was born we spilt for good.
Now I won’t lie being a single parent is hard, but at least I can look back on Heidi’s first years and be so proud of myself for getting this far raising her on my own. It’s not impossible to get things done when you’re a single parent I don’t care what anyone says.
Here’s some things I do to help me get stuff done;
- Order my foodshop online, not only does it save the stress of actually having to go out in public, I don’t have to deal with Heidi kicking off. Iceland is my favourite to order from.
- Include Heidi in my cleaning routine, not only does she copy me exactly, she’s learning for when she’s older, or for when she makes mess… just this morning she spilt her breakfast on my sofa… “get the cleaning stuff mummy”.
- Do all the cleaning and washing as soon as Heidi gets me up, you read that right, she gets me up.
- Plan ahead, I help Heidi to pack her own nursery bag on the nights before nursery and she helps me get my work clothes organised in return.
- Bow down to Peppa pig, fireman sam and paw patrol for giving me 5 minutes of peace to go to the toilet ALONE.
Every parent loses their shit from time to time I actually do think us single parents lose our shit less, as we don’t have another person to blame for our children’s shitty attitudes towards us nor to we have a man child to tidy up after, win win really isn’t it!
Heidi’s only recently started contact with her dad and his family again so maybe now I’ll be able to have a few hours to myself every once in a while, I’ve already got a list of things to do…. starfish in bed undisturbed is top of my list!
But yeah single parenting is possible, we do the same amount of stuff as other parents do, just with one pair of hands instead of two.